Author Topic: Two verification questions - are you serious?  (Read 14979 times)

vince_black

Two verification questions - are you serious?
« on: November 09, 2016, 09:54:50 AM »
This is more message to forum owners: CTC is a nice program, but to put some question/message here is terrible. I can't read letter shown in the picture. I hate this practice, but it's probably necessary for blocking spam robots. But some webistes have more readable pictures than here. I had to do several tried until I'm right.

The second thing is "What is the title of this site". Do you really think in comfortable for us write the some words again and again? Letters shown in the picture are not enough???
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 08:02:55 AM by admin »

admin

• Administrator
Re: Two verification questions - are you serious?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 08:04:29 AM »
I had a similar forum like this that became flooded with spam, and it requires quite some work to remove spam from a forum like this. I've seen another forum using the same platform (smf) that actually started quite decently, but then the spammers started flooding that forum. The intended audience became less interested and they stopped posting. At the end it was so bad that the forum database actually became inaccessible. Of course, by that time I imagine the intended audience was turned off by all that spam. What a pity, but I do blame the administrators for not stopping the spam right when it started.

It is unfortunate but that is what it is. With this forum: so far so good. I do allow posting without me having to approve it for it showing up for the general public - and so far I didn't get any new members that register here just so that they can spam.

I personally find the letters more readable than what you see on other sites where the letters are so much twisted that is is open for different interpretation.  I have, however, changed the picture such that the noise is not part anymore, so that this is more readable now.

As for the 2nd part I keep it for now. The security question is simple enough and you can actually copy and paste from the title that appears on top of the site. With the clearer picture several tries won't be necessary.

Anybody reading here: This is the verification process for registration of new members. Once you get through there are no restrictions regarding posting, and I'd like to keep it that way. There are measures available to stop spammers when they show up including deleting their posts and banning them altogether.

BuckDer

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 10:52:28 AM »
Really boggles the mind reading "complaints" like this one. Took way much more effort to write that than to fill out those 2 verification boxes.

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 07:01:47 AM »
We have re-instated the verification question - we have observed so many new-members registrations  (well over 100 per day) which seem to be motivated by other than general interest in anything about railroads. We doubt that all of the members of our forum are here for what the forum is for. Some have been caught for spamming, and the most serious offenders have been banned from posting again.
Unfortunately, that how things are.