Author Topic: Approach Lined diamonds  (Read 1957 times)

NW1776

• My Facebook
Approach Lined diamonds
« on: March 25, 2021, 07:39:27 AM »
Another feature that would be alot better is to enhance the "Automatic" aspect of signaling, where you set up a junction to only line up when the train approaches the interlocking, like at Rochelle, IL.

The diamond only lines a signal up when a train enters the approach block to the diamond, even though the diamond has been "requested" it won't physically line until the train activates it.

DPump

• Administrator
Re: Approach Lined diamonds
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 10:16:58 AM »
This sounds like a new trigger function.
Keeps me thinking ....
I mentioned already automatic routing based on train type. However, it would not really fit the bill in the diamond situation, since it would be possible to set a route on the same track in the opposite direction up to the diamond. And it would not cover signals that are automatic by being invisible on the layout.
It seems like more a case for delayed clearing of signals. There is already functionality in CTC that can help: due to priority rules routes are automatically extended (as automatic signals work in CTC) only if nothing is else to do with regard to routing. Because of the low priority blocks are held up to prevent opposite routing - see  http://webrailroader.com/ctc/traffic-direction-block/ note (1). This is a feature in CTC since around version 3.21.
Now the new idea is to hold the reservation of the direction just a little bit longer. For how long? Well that's where the trigger comes in. You can place the trigger anywhere you want - at the beginning of the approach block or a block before that.
How does this sound?