Author Topic: Random factors.  (Read 2234 times)

NW1776

• My Facebook
Random factors.
« on: October 09, 2020, 04:39:31 AM »
I wonder if it'd be plausible to add defect detectors which randomly will catch a train, sometimes a malfunctioning detector catching multiple trains, which then needs to be taken out of service until repaired.

Also random train/locomotive issues in which a train will lose a locomotive and since be slower moving, or what about a train just losing the air pressure which ends up sending the train into emergency until air can be rebuilt.

Also have signals/switches that fail due to usage like a signal or switch stops responding because it's just been used and has failed due to random issue [sort of like the track deterioration factor in CTC, these features have been applied in Train Dispatcher V3.5, was wondering if they could be implemented [as well as the crew calling feature - to recrew trains where needed].

DPump

• Administrator
Re: Random factors.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 10:34:22 AM »
Hotbox and Draging Equipment Detectors have been in preliminary discussions for CTC,  but while TD3 uses this feature all over the place, we're thinking about localizing the detectors, e.g. in a block or between blocks, so that you can place where you want the detectors to be . Note,  the  "HB" and "DE" markers are for show only , there is no functionality behind them.

Random train issues have not been thought of yet, however this would be similar to how TD3 handles HB/DE/what not handles these things. Emergency brake is already part of CTC,  although you won't see it too often. Slow downs because of some issues is not (yet)

These things may also impact the communication between the driver and the dispatcher. After all, you like to know what is going on, and I think it is common courtesy (or protocol) for the driver to call you about any problems.

Switch and signal failures have been thought of - and some pieces are already there (though dormant). The deterioration will likely  be handled like block deterioration - e.g. surviving sessions etc.

Switch failure may be addressed by the train crew - remove a blocking tree branch, manually throw that switch), that would be also subject to some communications.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 10:59:02 AM by DPump »

NW1776

• My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 10:03:14 AM »
Would still be nice to see this randomization added into the simulator so you're not running trains all over the place without worrying if a train catches a hotbox, or a locomotive malfunctions along the route which makes you have to rethink your strategy as a train moving slower would need to be altered in it's operation to ensure it doesn't die along it's route. Crew changes/limits are desperately needed to be implemented as discussed before.

westdetroit

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 01:04:15 AM »
I second NW1776. I think the editor is pretty solid now. I think crew changes are needed also, and before detectors, as there's not a day that goes by on my scanner that someone isn't close to "dying", running short on time and it does affect planning in a major way because as much as we'd like to keep intermodal trains ahead of regular freight trains having a freight train or another intermodal short on time changes things dramatically. And even trains just randomly go into emergency whether an air hose parted or some other mechanical failure. Hopefully you will consider switching to "tone" based calls for the trains (phones can be ok for externs that aren't trains) because obviously us dispatchers would then be receiving more "calls". 😏😏🙏