Author Topic: Deawbridges  (Read 1931 times)

westdetroit

Deawbridges
« on: April 14, 2020, 10:37:23 AM »
May we expand on Drawbridges a little more and maybe have an option of assigning a specific number of boats per day per bridge and having a captain of a boat call the dispatcher when there is a boat present and you would have to open the bridge to acknowledge the boat or the captain will keep calling or somehow simulate an actual boat. It's a nice feature but I think it could be enhanced a little more. It is nice to be able to keep the bridge down anytime I need to move a train but realistically I wouldn't have that luxury 24 hours a day. I actually just saw a boat delay an Amtrak at Hick outside of Chicago via my ATCS monitoring. Just a thought to enhance an already great feature. 😊

DPump

• Administrator
Re: Drawbridges
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 03:22:59 PM »
Was the Amtrak delayed because the dispatcher mishandled the situation?
Anyway, we toyed with the  idea to have the bridge down most of the time and open it only if a boat comes along and requests a passage.  This is how street drawbridges operate, which also applies to bridges carrying both automobile and railroad traffic over the river. There is a bridge tender on duty at that location,  who would call you.  Once you agree the tender would open the bridge for a while - for how long it is up to the tender, not to you. It is possible to operate this way during certain times of the day,  while doing the current remote operation otherwise.
I think one of your territories there is a location where more than one drawbridges are placed next to each other. Wouldn't it make sense that an opening on demand would affect all bridges?

westdetroit

Re: Deawbridges
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 04:41:07 PM »
Yes. Maybe set a "path" between all bridges on the same river. I think Hick on Chicago West is the only location that I can think of anywhere that has that many Drawbridges within the same interlocking and yes back in '97 there was a bridge tender who also controlled the interlocking plant at that location and at CP-100 (Indiana Harbor) hence those two locations sitting off the main dispatcher's screen. Boats do have the right of way over trains just as trains do vehicles. Just an idea. Either way I like the fact that there are at least moveable drawbridges in CTC. 👍👍

westdetroit

Re: Deawbridges
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 04:45:35 PM »
Btw. Glad you understood my title was Drawbridges. Small keys on my phone and not the best eyes sometimes don't mix. Lol