Author Topic: Sim crashing when lining a signal if manual override is forgotten  (Read 1048 times)

westdetroit

Hi Deitlef. Another issue that happens. If I forget to manually override a control signal that is against the "current of traffic" it causes the sim to crash. I work around this by saving then reloading the saved sim. Just wondering if maybe it could just "ignore" if I accidentally click on a control signal against the current of traffic before manually overriding instead of a sim ending crash?

DPump

• Administrator
Re: Sim crashing when lining a signal if manual override is forgotten
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 04:46:40 AM »
In many cases you can push "ignore" - just to see what happens when you continue, and considering that the alternative is to terminate the program. It is possible that the crash happens in the UI thread (this is the thread that handles user inputs via mouse and keyboard and terminates once the data have been modified per these inputs), and does not affect the main thread that runs the game machine. (Just for short explanation, threads are lightweight processes within a process which allows concurrent programming of two or more parts of the program for maximizing the utilization of the CPU. It is not the same as parallel processing but comes close, in that you can assign certain tasks to certain threads, which they perform independent of each other to the max intent.)

Nevertheless, keep these issues reporting - we will not ignore them, but rather like to fix them.

Your WebRailRoader Team

westdetroit

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 07:05:19 AM »
Nope. If I hit "continue" then try to click on another signal I get the same unhandled exception message. By the way, I really liked your last update. It fixed the deleting the extern issue. 👍👍 P.S. I tried to attach a screenshot but my file was too big. I apologize.

DPump

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 08:03:39 AM »
I have not fully understood what you did. Please explain in more detail.

Also, if you have the "unhandled exception" message, there is a "Details" button which allows you to get some more details like a stack trace. I would like to get that as well.

Thank you.

westdetroit

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 08:09:30 AM »
Ok, I will Deitlef. I will send you an email in a little bit with that information. It happens on tracks signalled in one direction. If I forget to use the override command for a signal in the opposite direction that's when I get the above mentioned message. I should be able to send a screenshot shot of the situation via email as an email will allow me to send a bigger file than I can here.

DPump

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 05:25:00 AM »
Thanks to the email communication we know now what happened, and what the fix would be. This post is to inform the general audience of this forum about the solution.

This is a situation where a block is one-direction only and a route is attempted using a start signal at the "wrong" end of the block. A click to select a destination of a route leads to the exception as reported.
A manual override of the block lifts the one-way direction temporarily so that one can complete the intended route but it was forgotten here.

Note, this problem does not occur if the block has been selected instead of the start signal, but it will occur for shunting routes where a manual override is not required.

There is a work around available: if you get the exception, click "Continue" there, and then hit the <ESC> key on the keyboard. This will cancel an incomplete route attempt, undoing the first click, and a 2nd click for the route is not expected anymore.

This is a good find, so thanks for the report and for the follow-up.

A correction is scheduled for the upcoming CTC Release 5.7.

westdetroit

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 07:11:28 AM »
You're welcome.  :)