Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Updates?
« Last post by NW1776 on January 09, 2024, 01:14:12 PM »
I emailed in like 4-5 territories to be imported to CTC, and I have also followed up in email inquiring, and have received no reply, was wondering if I missed something.
CTC Suggestions / Re: CTC for operating systems other then Windows
« Last post by NW1776 on October 02, 2023, 08:35:49 AM »
I think the program is just fine as it sits, no need for adjustment.
CTC Suggestions / Trains changing symbols
« Last post by NW1776 on October 02, 2023, 08:13:31 AM »
I know there are more than one simulation that could be done, but requires ability to change symbols, like the Powder River Basin, where empty trains get loaded, and other similar scenarios. Train Dispatcher does this easily, we just need to find how to implement this into CTC. We have alot of things we can implement, but the issue is doing so without crashing the game entirely or overloading it
CTC Suggestions / Re: Scheduling bridge openings?
« Last post by NW1776 on October 01, 2023, 06:36:13 PM »
I know the BNSF Chillicothe Sub across Illinois and into Indiana has a road/rail bridge that spins to open.

Not sure if they have a "Scheduled" open/closed routine.

But that bridge stays in the closed position until called by a maritime movement.

The bridge is in Fort Madison, IA.

There are two railcams at the location if you want to study it.

The cameras are available for free via YouTube.
CTC Suggestions / Re: Scheduling bridge openings?
« Last post by DPump on September 30, 2023, 05:16:00 AM »
Haven't thought about it. I know some street bridges have scheduled openings, but not sure about railroad bridges - even if combined railroad/street bridges. The examples I know have the bridges open most of the time, or open when required (with low ship traffic).
Will think about it.
CTC Suggestions / Scheduling bridge openings?
« Last post by NW1776 on September 29, 2023, 06:56:01 PM »
I wonder if there is a way to implement scheduled bridge openings, I know some bridges do have scheduled openings for maritime traffic, is there a way to implement this into CTC?
CTC Suggestions / Re: Muting the phone
« Last post by NW1776 on September 16, 2023, 01:42:16 PM »
Or a "tone", which would be very realistic,  with a screen with the train, maintainence, etc  who is calling "highlighted" in red. Then you can pick whoever you want to speak to at the moment, which is also realistic. This way you're not "tied up" answering a non urgent call. Just a suggestion.

I love this idea!!
CTC Suggestions / Re: Recrewing and real world factors
« Last post by NW1776 on September 07, 2023, 08:26:34 AM »
Based on the territories I run, limited crew availability is an option not yet implemented in a simulator, allowing for repeated crew calls without having to worry about how many crews you already called, but there should be a train type of crew availability, simply because you'll have X number of long haul and short haul crews. IE: You have a number of crews for intermodal, another for mix freight/bulk unit, and a third crew set for passenger trains. Also in some territories you'll have train crews qualified for different directions. But in real world the dispatcher would call the crew caller and request the signal, at which point they would try to find a rested and qualified crew and then let the dispatcher know at a later time when/if they have a rested crew.
CTC Suggestions / Re: Recrewing and real world factors
« Last post by DPump on September 01, 2023, 02:09:20 PM »
For implementing crew time in the CTC simulator, I believe this forum is a good platform to discuss potential features. While I've already conceptualized some aspects of this feature, I welcome feedback and fresh ideas to refine the implementation.
Here are my preliminary ideas on how to introduce crew times in the CTC simulator:
    1. TrainTypeOperator Class: The CTC will introduce the 'TrainTypeOperator' class. This represents a category or grouping of train types that a crew is qualified to operate. For example, different freight trains may possess unique acceleration, braking, and speed limit characteristics. These can be grouped under a 'Freight Train' category within the TrainTypeOperator class. Another use-case can be train types specific to urban passenger lines which, based on their destination, could potentially be used for automatic routing in future CTC versions.
    2. Limited Train Crews: The number of train crews is finite, with a set limit for each train type operator. For example, there might be 20 crews designated for freight trains and another 5 for passenger trains. Each crew must adhere to regulations on working hours (e.g., a maximum of 12 hours on duty followed by a minimum of 10 hours of rest). At any given time, a crew could be running a train, waiting at an office for their next assignment, or resting at home.
    3. Crew Offices: Multiple offices will be strategically located across the simulated territory. These offices serve as waiting zones for crews or are conveniently placed near homes or hotels for resting crews. When a new crew is needed to operate a train, you would contact the nearest office to the designated crew change block. If a more distant office is contacted, expect longer wait times for crew readiness.
    4. Crew Change Blocks: Specific blocks or stations can be earmarked for crew changes. These are represented in train schedules as stops, primarily for crew changes. If a crew change occurs earlier due to the train's delay or crew time expiration, the train can bypass this stop, unless other reasons mandate a halt.
    5. Handling Incoming Trains: Trains from outside the simulated territory will be staffed by the office responsible for the entry point of your territory. An indicator is used to show the remaining crew time. CTC will automatically assign an appropriate crew from the assigned office, if available.
    6. Train Splitting and Merging: In situations where trains split, one section can continue with the original crew. Conversely, during train merging, the driver from one segment may persist in their role while others enter a standby mode.

I invite members to share their thoughts, concerns, and ideas to enhance this proposed system. Your feedback is invaluable as we aim to create a comprehensive and realistic simulator experience.
CTC Suggestions / Recrewing and real world factors
« Last post by NW1776 on August 14, 2023, 04:00:00 PM »
Can we see crew times and recrew locations implemented into CTC finally, because I believe without a realistic crew expiration and crew limits being in use, this simulator really is lacking a sense of realism and there's no real urgency to get a train crew into their terminal or somewhere that a crew can get to relieve a dead train really adds to the challenge of a dispatcher, I mean for example have where you call the trainmaster, and request the relief crew, then the simulator randomizes what time the next crew is available to relieve the crew, where you call the trainmaster, trainmaster then calls the call board and requests the next train crew, but if there's no available relief crew, then you have to worry about where you can place a train to where the next crew can get to them, and also have it to where you can prioritize the next crew, like for coal, grain, or other extra type extra trains being called when the next one comes available, while your intermodal gets top billing, then the merchandise, and so on.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10